I wanted to do some baking this Memorial Day weekend, so after returning home from a Saturday on the beach, I got to work. But, I was tired. The beach does that. And it was hot (I have no A/C) so the oven was off-limits. Fortunately, I had a plan that required minimal stovetop effort and was super easy. S’mores Popcorn Balls. Not only are these easy, but compared to many sweet treats they are lower in calories!
I don’t often tout brands here, but let me put this out there. I found an Orville Redenbacher Kettle Corn microwave popcorn that I used for this recipe, and it’s so good that I might start putting this into regular rotation in my snack collection. This, despite not being a traditional popcorn fan. Just a tip. 🙂
½ bag microwave popcorn
2 T butter
6 Sweet Jumbles Vanilla Bean marshmallows
¼ t vanilla extract
1 c Golden Grahams cereal
¼ c mini chocolate chips
- Pop popcorn according to package instructions. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter until golden. Add marshmallows, stirring constantly until melted.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla, stirring to incorporate.
- Add popcorn and Golden Grahams to marshmallow mixture, stirring to coat evenly.
- Set aside for a minute or two, until cool enough to handle. Do not let it cool too much or it won’t be malleable. Using your hands, form balls roughly the size of a plum, pressing the popcorn and cereal mixture to form a sturdy but not entirely crushed consistency.
- Press chocolate chips into the ball for an added touch.
- Refrigerate to cool if necessary.