Last weekend was a great one for baking, with the crisp air making it perfectly clear that fall is here. We found a recipe for Graham Cracker Cookies – which sounds like “a recipe for graham crackers,” but it totally is not. These cookies use crushed graham crackers in place of the flour that you would normally expect in a cookie recipe!
While these are quite good even without icing, it’s even better to melt a Sweet Jumbles marshmallow on top! We used Pumpkin Pie Marshmallows, but you can use any flavor of your choice.
15 sheets graham crackers
¼ c sugar
2 T packed brown sugar
½ t baking soda
¼ t salt
6 T unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 large egg, lightly beaten
½ t vanilla extract
7 Sweet Jumbles marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line baking sheet with parchment or Silpat.
- Put graham crackers in a zip-top bag and crush with a rolling pin until broken down into sandy crumbs. (Can also be done in a food processor.)
- In a large bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add cooled melted butter, egg, and vanilla. Stir to combine into a soft dough.
- Using a spoon, or just your hands, create cookie dough balls of about 1.5 Tablespoons each. Space on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Gently push down dough to very slightly flatten.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until cookies have slightly browned at edges. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, cut a marshmallows into thirds. Preheat broiler.
- Place one 1/3 size marshmallow on each cookie. Place on a cookie sheet in broiler for approximately 2 minutes, checking every 30 seconds and rotating cookie tray as necessary. Cookies are done when marshmallows have slightly melted and are golden.
The marshmallows look amazing on there. I’m sure they taste even better. 🙂