Yesterday was a snow day up and down the Northeast, so we spent the day huddled warm inside. This recipe was inspired by a 2013 Sweet Jumbles post for Millionaire’s Shortbread. But, I made several modifications, replacing the shortbread with Biscoff cookies, and adding a Biscoff marshmallow layer! They’re easy but it does take some time to make these as they need to cool and harden between each layer.
Millionaire's Biscoff S'Mores Bars
1 c crushed Biscoff cookies (about 15 cookies)
4 T unsalted butter, melted
2 T sugar
1 can (14 oz.) condensed milk
½ c sugar
½ c unsalted butter
2 T golden syrup (if you don’t have golden syrup, use light corn syrup/Karo)
2 t salt
9 Sweet Jumbles Biscoff marshmallows, divided
3 T light corn syrup/Karo
4 oz. dark or bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
½ t light corn syrup/Karo
¼ c unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Crush Biscoff cookies to a crumb in a food processor or place in a paper bag and crush with a rolling pin. Add butter, sugar, and salt and mix until well-combined and moist.
- Line an 8″ x 8″ baking dish with foil and firmly press crumb mixture into the bottom.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to completely cool for approximately 20 minutes.
- To make the caramel layer, combine the butter, sugar, golden syrup/corn syrup and condensed milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Heat, stirring continually, until the butter is melted. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, being careful not to let the pan overflow. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, stirring constantly. Continue simmering and stirring until the mixture turns an amber color and thickens slightly – slow and steady. It will pull away from the pan edges with your spoon at this point.
- Add salt and pour caramel in a level, smooth layer over the Biscoff crust. Refrigerate until set, approximately 20 minutes.
- Begin the marshmallow layer once the caramel has set. Combine 6 Sweet Jumbles Biscoff marshmallows with 3 Tablespoons of corn syrup in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat at 20-second increments, stirring at each interval, repeating until smooth. Pour over caramel layer. Again, refrigerate until set, approximately 20 minutes.
- Optional: take the remaining 3 marshmallows and chop into small cubes as a topping. Set aside.
- Once the marshmallow has set, start on the chocolate layer. Combine the chocolate, corn syrup, and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Heat, stirring every 20 seconds or so, until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth. Pour evenly over the caramel layer and smooth the top.
- If desired, allow to cool for a minute or two and then sprinkle with chopped marshmallows. My images show this in a slightly more well-placed format, but that isn’t necessary. And, in fact, the bars are so sweet that the marshmallow topping – while aesthetically appealing – isn’t truly necessary.
- Return dish to refrigerator and allow chocolate to harden.
- Once set, cut into small bars. These are very rich and 1.5″-cubes will be just fine.