For this month’s installment of Sweet Jumbles marshmallow recipes, I’ve baked some Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies. These stay nice and chewy and may become one of your go-to cookie recipes.
Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies
Inspiration: Smart Schoolhouse
6 Sweet Jumbles Marshmallows, chopped
3 c all-purpose flour
2/3 c cocoa powder
½ t baking soda
¼ t salt
1 c sugar
1 c brown sugar, firmly packed
1 c unsalted butter, softened
2 t vanilla extract
¼ c mini chocolate chips
- Chop marshmallows into roughly ½-inch cubes (no need to be precise). Freeze. Tip: If marshmallows are too sticky to chop, dredge in powdered sugar as needed, or freeze first and chop when cold.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine sugar, brown sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla. Mix at medium speed until well combined.
- Gradually add flour mixture to the wet ingredients until combined. It will be very thick.
- Remove marshmallows from the freezer, and form a ball with the batter around one or two frozen marshmallows. It will take some effort to get the batter to “hold”, and these will be larger than you may be used to – about 1.5 inch diameter.
- WARNING: do not let the marshmallows thaw. If they are not fully frozen when put in the oven, they will completely disappear into the cookie. I recommend putting them back into the freezer between batches, and not having a tray ready and sitting on the counter for an extended period of time.
- Place stuffed dough onto cookie sheet lined with parchment or silpat.
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on the top of each cookie, gently pressing to make sure they stick.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Cool on tray for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.