Mexican Chocolate is dark chocolate with spices such as cinnamon and chipotle. Sweet Jumbles’ Mexican Hot Chocolate Marshmallow is one of our bestselling products, so I’ve decided to make a little recipe to showcase it. This recipe starts as a traditional shortbread bar, but amped up with chocolate and spices, and then layered with marshmallow and a hard chocolate shell topping.
Mexican Hot Chocolate Shortbread Bars
½ c (1 stick) butter, room temperature
½ c sugar
½ t salt
3/4 c + 2 T all-purpose flour
½ t cinnamon
½ t chili powder
¼ t baking powder
¼ c cocoa powder
9 Sweet Jumbles Mexican Hot Chocolate Marshmallows
1 T water
10 oz chopped dark chocolate / dark chocolate chips
2 t coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 300. Line an 8×8″ pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine butter, sugar, and salt with a whisk or fork. Add all-purpose flour through cocoa powder and mix just until combined.
- Using your fingers, press mixture evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Once cool, in a microwave-safe bowl combine marshmallows and water. Microwave on high at 30-second intervals, stirring between, until marshmallows are nicely melted. Spread evenly on top of shortbread. Chill until firm.
- Once firm, melt chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl, again at 30-second intervals, stirring between, until smooth. Spread over marshmallow layer and sprinkle with sea salt. Chill until firm.
- Once firm, you’re going to want to bring the shortbread back to room temperature to make cutting it easier. Remove from pan using edges of parchment paper and turn upside down on a cutting board. Cut that way, removing any uneven edges. If the chocolate is too hard it will crack (but still be delicious).
- Store in the fridge, but it’s best to bring bars to room temperature before eating – if you have the patience.