I have lots of time at home to bake, which is I guess a silver lining at the moment…. The Quarantine Fifteen is coming fast.
This recipe is for a standard vanilla cupcake with peanut butter frosting. Let’s be real, the point of this recipe is the peanut butter frosting. I highly recommend you put it on any and all of your favorite cakes. It makes everything – even a global pandemic – slightly better while you are eating it.
Vanilla Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting
for the cupcakes
2 ¼ c all-purpose flour
1 t baking powder
½ t kosher salt
1 ¼ c milk
4 large egg whites, room temperature
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1 ½ c sugar
seeds from 1 vanilla bean or vanilla bean paste equivalent (if available)
2 t vanilla extract
for the frosting
1 c powdered sugar
1 c creamy peanut butter
5 T unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 t vanilla extract
¼ t kosher salt
1/3 c heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk and egg whites. Set both aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar, vanilla bean seeds, and vanilla extract at medium speed for 3 minutes or until the butter and sugar are very light.
- Add in one third of the flour mixture, beating at medium speed. Then alternating, add half of the milk/egg mixture, half of the remaining dry ingredients, the rest of the milk/eggs, and the remaining dry ingredients, being sure to fully incorporate the ingredients between each addition.
- Once ingredients are thoroughly incorporated, beat for 2 more minutes to ensure that it is thoroughly mixed and well aerated.
- Distribute the batter into 18 muffins, filling each 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18-24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centers come out clean. Cool on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in the bowl of a mixer, combine the powdered sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and salt on medium-low speed.
- When well blended, add the heavy cream and continue mixing on high speed until the mixture is light and smooth.
- Frost cooled cupcakes in your favorite way (or just eat the frosting out of the bowl. Just sayin’.)