Sometimes I bake something with no intention whatsoever of blogging it. It seems simple and not so special and just something I made for the heck of it. Fortunately, this has happened enough times that I now photograph most things I bake even if I wasn’t going to blog them, because after the fact I might change my mind.
That is what happened with this recipe. I thought a pound cake was rather ordinary and I just baked it for the heck of it. I took it to work, though, and several people announced that it was the best pound cake they had ever eaten. (One actually complimented the “mouth feel” which always makes me giggle.)
So, there I was with a Grapefruit Pound Cake that suddenly deserved blogging. I will agree, it was definitely moist and delicious.
This reminds me, my sister commented that I should note on my recipes if they were good or not. If I bother to post it, it is good. I sometimes bake 4 or 5 things in a row that aren’t good enough to blog. So, if it makes the cut to arrive on this website, you can assume it was yummy.
And, as is the case with this Grapefruit Pound Cake, yummy and low in calories! Score!
Grapefruit Pound Cake
Source: Cooking Light
9 oz all-purpose flour (about 2 c)
1 t baking powder
5/8 t salt, divided
1 2/3 c granulated sugar
6 T butter, softened
6 oz 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
2 large eggs
¼ c canola oil
2 T grated grapefruit rind
½ t vanilla extract
½ c skim milk
½ c fresh grapefruit juice
1 ¼ c powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°. Coat a 10-inch tube or bundt pan with baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- With an electric mixer, combine sugar, butter, and cream cheese at high speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time. Beat in oil, rind, and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture and milk alternately to batter, beginning and ending with flour.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs clinging. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Invert cake. Cool on rack.
- To make glaze, bring grapefruit juice to a boil on the stovetop. Cook until reduced to 3 tablespoons (about 4 minutes). Cool slightly. Stir in powdered sugar and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt. Drizzle over cake.
Calories : 289