I have mentioned many times in the past that I am a huge fan of cranberries, so it should come as no surprise to you that I snuck in one more cranberry baked good before the season was over. I had to go to two stores just to find some cranberries, so you may just have to wait until cranberries are back in season to try this recipe. But, if you are lucky enough to have some still on your grocer’s shelves, these are worth the effort of finding them. To top it off, you could totally call these a Valentine’s Day treat since the berries are red.
I’ll be posting a Valentine’s Day special shortly but I realize that I’m kind of last-minute this year so please bear with me.
Browned Butter Cranberry Lime Muffins
Source: Joy the Baker
7 T unsalted butter
1/3 c milk
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 t vanilla extract
zest of 1 lime
1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
3/4 c sugar
1 1/2 t baking powder
3/4 t salt
1 1/2 c fresh cranberries
1/4 c granulated sugar for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with paper or foil liners
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook down the butter until little brown bits appear in the pan. The crackling will subside and butter will begin to brown fairly quickly after that. Keep a close eye on it and remove from heat.
- Whisk milk, egg, egg yolk, vanilla and lime zest together. Add the brown butter and whisk to combine.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl Add milk and butter mixture, stirring to combine. Gently fold in the cranberries.
- Divide the batter among muffin cups and spread evenly. Generously sprinkle with granulated sugar (optional)
- Bake until golden, about 18-20 minutes. Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then remove from the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.