Christmas baking doesn’t have to be limited to cookies, and it doesn’t have to be complicated. Today I’m sharing a recipe for Chai Cupcakes with Chai Cream Cheese Frosting that brings the cozy flavor of chai tea to your dessert table. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that if you left this on Santa’s cookie plate, he would also be much appreciative.
Chai Cupcakes with Chai Cream Cheese Frosting
3 c cake flour
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 T chai spice blend (* if you don’t want to use the store bought blend, see link above)
¼ t salt
1 ½ c unsalted butter, room temperature
2 c granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 t vanilla extract
1 c buttermilk
8 oz cream cheese
4 T butter, room temperature
1 ½ t vanilla extract
2 T chai spice blend (* see above)
4 c powdered sugar
2 T +/- heavy cream or milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line cupcake tin.
- Sift together cake flour through salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between each. Mix in vanilla.
- On low speed, alternately add flour and buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour and making sure each is incorporated well.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake approximately 20 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- Transfer to a rack and cool completely.
- While cooling, prepare frosting. Cream together cream cheese and butter until light and smooth. Add chai spices until incorporated. Add powdered sugar, ½ c at a time, until desired consistency is reached. Add milk or heavy cream as needed to thin consistency.
- Frost cupcakes only once completely cooled.