I’ve had excess free time on my hands lately, so I decided to do some baking. I’ve had my eye on this Oreo buttercream for some time, and this was the perfect time to give it a test drive. It was as good as I had hoped! My nieces approved, too.
This recipe is unique in that it uses vegetable oil instead of butter, which makes for a very watery batter. So watery, in fact, that it seems “wrong,” but never fear – the final product is great!
Chocolate Cupcakes with Oreo Buttercream
Inspiration: Lick the Bowl Good
Ingredientsfor the cupcakes
2 c sugar
1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
3/4 c cocoa powder
1 ½ t baking powder
1 ½ t baking soda
1 t salt
2 large eggs
1 c milk
½ c vegetable oil
2 t vanilla extract
1 c boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add in eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla, mixing with a hand mixer or your stand mixer for 2 minutes.
- Add in boiling water. Batter will be very thin.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake 22-25 minutes.
- Cool completely.
1 c unsalted butter
1 t vanilla extract
2 T milk
3-4 c powdered sugar
14 Oreos, crushed
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or with a hand mixer, cream together butter, vanilla, and milk.
- Add powdered sugar gradually until you get the desired consistency, adding powdered sugar to thicken or additional milk to thin.
- Frost your cupcakes!