Now that summer is here, I’m fully enjoying fruits and berries. This month’s marshmallow recipe is for Marshmallow Icebox Pie.
Although this recipe doesn’t use fresh strawberries, it was inspired by a trip to the strawberry patch earlier this month. I came home with so many strawberries that I was in a real rush to find ways to use them. I wound up making Strawberry Oatmeal Breakfast Bars, Strawberry Lemonade, and Strawberry & Creme Ice Cream.
For this recipe, you could always replace the Strawberry Marshmallows with any other flavor, depending on the season or your preference. A chocolate lover, for example, may prefer to use Chocolate Marshmallows, or in the wintertime spice things up with Peppermint Marshmallows.
Marshmallow Icebox Pie
1 ½ c graham crackers, crushed
6 T butter, melted
1/3 c sugar
7 oz (1/2 can) sweetened condensed milk
1 t vanilla extract
1 T vodka (optional)
1 c heavy whipping cream
10 Sweet Jumbles Strawberry marshmallows, divided
red food coloring (optional)
- In a large bowl combine crushed graham crackers, butter, and sugar. Press mixture into a pie pan and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract, and vodka. The vodka is totally optional and can be replaced with another alcohol or omitted entirely. The alcohol keeps the pie from freezing too hard, so if you omit it the final product will just be harder when you cut into it.
- In the bowl of a mixer, whip heavy cream to stiff peaks. Set aside.
- Microwave 8 of the Sweet Jumbles marshmallows until melted. Stop microwave and stir at 30-second intervals.
- Gently fold together condensed milk and whipped cream. Add melted marshmallows, being careful not to deflate the cream. Add red food coloring if the color isn’t bold enough for you.
- Pour into graham cracker crust, smoothing the top. Take the remaining marshmallows, chop, and place the small marshmallow pieces on top of the pie for decoration.
- Freeze for 6 hours, or preferably overnight. Enjoy!